Understanding education options in Alberta
Alberta "offers the greatest degree of school choice in Canada", according to a cross-Canada comparative analysis Measuring Choice and Competition in Canadian Education, published by the Barbara Mitchell Centre for Improvement in Education.
Alberta's wide array of education choices include government public schools, separate (Catholic) schools, Francophone schools, independent schools, home education, charter schools, as well as a broad range of alternative programs within public and separate schools.
More in-depth information about these various options is available on the Alberta government "Education Options" page, as well as through a variety of additional organizations, articles and videos, some of which are listed below.
Separate (Catholic) schools in Alberta
Independent (Private) Schools in Alberta
- Association of Independent Schools and Colleges (AISCA)
- VIDEO: Alberta's private schools serve the public good
- VIDEO: Alberta’s private schools save tax payers money
Home Education in Alberta
- Understanding Home Education: What is it? How is it structured? - resource written by Parents for Choice in Education
- Alberta Home Education Association
- Alberta Homeschooling Association
- Canadian Centre for Home Education
- It Is NEVER Too Late To Bring Your Kids Home - article written by the Alberta Home Education Association
Charter schools in Alberta
Francophone schools in Alberta
To learn more about the key components and benefits of authentic education choice, as well as the areas which strengthen or hinder education choice, visit the "What is education choice?" page on our website.
To stay up-to-date and receive important updates directly to your inbox sign up on our homepage.